Checking in on my weight loss progress. It’s not going so well. I’m doing a good job on some things…lunch choices, starting to get some exercise in. But, overall, it’s not going so well since I’m back up to 181.9. So, I’m giving myself this week, but starting today, which is a Tuesday, to get myself on track with my own program. If I don’t see any progress by next Tuesday, I need to sign up for Weight Watchers. This week’s goals:
- I must drink at least 8 glasses of water every day! I have not been doing this and I believe this is a critical part of successful weight loss!
- Cut out all alcoholic beverages! Yes, even the red wine. None, zilch, zippo, absolutely not a drop of any alcoholic beverage.
- Cut down diet coke to only one a day and start drinking Green tea. Even though there are no calories in Diet Coke, it’s really bad for you. The aspartame has absolutely no good intentions to your body, plus I believe what they say about it leading to cravings for sweets. Case in point, I absolutely was dying for something sweet (after drinking about 6 cans of diet coke by 2pm). I frantically searched everywhere in my refrigerator and cupboards for something to satisfy this intense craving, but no such luck. I have been very good in not keeping the junk food in my house. But, I found a way to get it! I pulled down the sugar, the flour, the two bags of chocolate chips left over from Christmas baking, and put together all the ingredients for baking chocolate chip cookies. Of course, since my cravings were so bad, I made a double batch! I need a double batch of cookies like I need another hole in my head. I did restrain myself to only making two trays of cookies and put the rest of the dough in the fridge. That sounds good, right? Yeah, not so good, as cookie dough is my weakness. I think I ate about 8 cookies worth of cookie dough over the next 12 hours, in addition to several of the cookies that I did bake. I should really throw out the rest of the dough. I think I’m going to call my sister-in-law right now and ask her to get it out of my fridge and take it to her house. Lesson to self: Diet coke does have lots of calories and fat when it leads to spontaneous cookie baking! So, no more diet coke for me! But, I need to wean off of it. If I go cold turkey, I will lose friends when the withdrawals hit!
- Protein for breakfast! I haven’t been very good or consistent with my breakfast choices, especially when I run off to work. Today, I made a protein shake. It is 11:30 and has held me off from hunger so far. I’ll work on getting up a little earlier to make some breakfasts with eggs & egg whites, too.
- Continue to make healthy choices for lunch, but kick it up a notch. Concentrate on even less carbs like enriched flour and potatoes and more fruits and veggies.
- Smaller portions for dinner. I noticed I keep going for seconds on those yummy dinners my sister-in-law has been making. I need to hold myself to only one portion and keeping it small if it’s pasta or heavy in carbs. Make larger portions in healthy veggies in the evening.
- Get moving more than just once or twice a week! Continue the yoga and elliptical workouts, but kick it up another notch! I’ve only been doing yoga once a week. Get a second yoga workout in. Do three 30 minute elliptical workouts. Take the kids for a walk around the neighborhood this week!
- And the most difficult step yet…JOURNAL what I eat. I know it’s the best way to review what you ate over the week by writing down everything you put in your mouth and determine what you need to improve on based on your progress. I’m good at starting to journal, but by day 3, I’m not honest about it, even if I do get it written down, so I quit. My goal this week is to stick with journalling for at least this one week just to be able to review it and make some decisions for next week. I can do it for one week!
We’ll see what that scale shows next week after sticking to these 8 steps!